How do you imagine tranquility? Live it at Hollow Ash
Rural. Romantic. Real.
Living in a shepherd’s hut is an adventure we think you will love. You will be leaving your busy life behind. You will be living simply, cooking on a woodburning stove or outside over a firebowl. Your evenings will be lit by solar power. You will be ‘Far from the Madding Crowd’. But don’t worry, unlike shepherd Gabriel Oak in Thomas Hardy’s novel, your shepherd’s hut will be warm and cosy and has a comfy bed.
While our shepherds’ huts retain the charm of a traditional design, they are luxurious with double-glazed windows and insulated with sheep’s wool. They were built by us, here at Hollow Ash, using local materials and craftspeople.
‘Skirrid’ is situated in our small apple orchard with views across the Monnow Valley towards Skirrid Fawr hill. You have this sunny, half-acre field all to yourselves. This pretty hut is clad in blue painted wood. Catch the morning sun in the hut, and enjoy outdoor living under the shade of an awning.
Please note that for the foreseeable future only one of our huts, Dawn of Day, will be available. This is to allow exclusive use of the shower and toilet facilities.
Each hut offers:
- full-sized double bed (which in the Skirrid folds up into a daytime sofa)
- table and chairs
- small dresser with drawers
- woodburning stove with firewood
- fireside chair
- solar-power (Skirrid has 240v standard 3-pin sockets, while the Dawn of the Day is on 12v and has car-type or USB sockets)
- crockery & cutlery
- cooking pots
- kettle and cafetiere
- tea, coffee and sugar
- salt & pepper and herbs
- duvet & pillows
- bed linen
- two outdoor chairs
- in addition each hut has an awning and a hammock
- access to facilities comprising shower room, toilet, washing up sink and electric kettle
The hut itself is so beautifully appointed – the bed is nice and firm, the bedding soft and clean, plenty of space to move about and store things – it’s quite remarkable.Kristian